Using Eggplant from our Imperfect Picks range, create this eggplant stack layered with fresh zingy yoghurt and drizzled with pomegranate arils, nuts and fresh mint. A winning combination of textures and flavours plus a creative presentation, this recipe is one to wow a crowd!
For the yoghurt:
- 400g plain or greek style yoghurt
- 2 heaped tbsp tahini paste
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (or less if you prefer)
- 1 / 2 tsp ground cumin
- Generous squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt to taste
For the eggplants:
- Pomegranate molasses
- Seeds from 1 pomegranate (if in season)
- Toasted pine nuts or crushed walnuts
- Handful of fresh mint
- Whisk thoroughly all the ingredients for the yoghurt together in a bowl until smooth, seasoning with salt to taste. Cover and set aside in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Preheat your oven's top grill/broiler to high.
- Peel the eggplants either completely, or leave alternating strips of the skin on for presentation. Remove the tops and slice them crosswise into 2cm slices.
- Lay the eggplant slices in one layer onto a baking sheet lined with baking paper or foil and brush generously with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt (flaky or coarse sea salt is best!) and place the tray under the grill for 7-10 minutes, until the eggplant is lovely golden brown on top.
- Take the tray out, flip the slices over and repeat on the other side. Continue until all the eggplant is cooked (this usually takes 2-3 batches, depending on size).
- To assemble: layer 5-6 slices of eggplant onto a plate, placing a teaspoon-full of the yoghurt in between each slice. Top with a generous dollop of the yoghurt, a drizzle of the pomegranate molasses, and a scattering of pomegranate seeds, pine nuts/walnut and mint. Serve warm or at room temperature. You can also lay out all the ingredients on the table and let people assemble their own!
Recipe and photos by Matters of the Belly.