Basic Pasta Dough
For the dough:
(This makes extra which can be frozen to use at another time.)
600g 00 flour
Semolina flour for dusting
- On a large surface or large bowl add the flour, make a well in the middle and crack the eggs into the centre. Using your fingers mix together until it comes together into a sticky dough.
- Knead the dough until it starts to become silky and is no longer sticky. Cover with a wrap and place in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Roll out the dough with a pasta machine into thin sheets, sprinkle semolina flour over to prevent them from sticking to your work surface.
For a purple dough: Add in ¼ cup pre-cooked beetroot pureed in Step 1, with the eggs.
For a green dough: Add in ¼ cup pre-cooked spinach puree (squeezed to remove as much moisture as possible) in Step 1, with the eggs.
For a red dough: Add in ¼ cup of tomato or sundried tomato paste in Step 1, with the eggs.
To make Ravioli:
- Using a shaped cookie cutter, gently cut out shapes one at a time from the sheets. Spoon a small tsp of the filling into the centre of the shape. Using a pastry brush, brush around the edges with a little water. Place another piece of pastry over the top and gently press around the edges to seal and remove any air bubbles. Sprinkle a large tray with semolina flour and place each piece on the tray while you make the remainder. Repeat the process until you have enough, any left-over dough can be frozen for another occasion.
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil, add a drizzle of olive oil. Once boiling, add the ravioli and allow to cook for 3-5 minutes depending on your liking.
- Gently remove and drain the ravioli with a slotted spoon, reserving some of the cooking water.