Citrus juice is perfect to simplify the creation of citrus curd tarts. Impress with these delicious sweet treats.
Citrus Curd Tarts
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup icing sugar
- 150g butter, chopped
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 to 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
ALTERNATIVE (if short for time)
- 12 Frozen sweet shortcrust tart cases
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/4 cup cornflour
- 1 cup Citrus Botanica Juice
- 2 egg yolks
- Sift flour and icing sugar together into a large bowl.
- Add butter. Rub in using fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add yolk, water and vanilla. Mix lightly. Pastry should form a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap, allow to rest in fridge for at least 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Roll out pastry on a lightly floured surface, to fit a lightly greased 25 cm loose-bottomed flan tin. Ease pastry into tin then trim edges.
- Line pastry with baking paper. Fill with rice or dried beans. Bake blind in a hot oven for 10 to 15 minutes or until golden. Remove paper and beans. Allow pastry to cool.
- Bake Tart cases for 10 minutes at 190C
- Place sugar and cornflour into a heatproof microwave-safe bowl. Slowly add juice to cornflour mixture, whisking constantly until smooth. Cook on MEDIUM (50%) power for 6 to 7 minutes, whisking every minute, or until mixture just comes to the boil.
- Stir in yolks, 1 at a time. Cover surface with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold.
- Spoon curd into tart cases. Dust over some icing sugar. Serve.