Cauliflower is the best... it can be used in so many ways! This cheesy cauliflower and spinach (silverbeet) recipe works well as a weeknight meal side with some roasted lamb, lemon Mediterranean chicken or other vegetable dishes. Warm baked food is essential for surviving the cooler days!
- 1 large whole cauliflower
- 4 spinach (silverbeet) leaves
- 1/2 cup pure cream
- 200g feta cheese
- 300g organic quark cheese
- ghee or butter
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
- Remove the large outside leaves and thick stalks from the cauliflower (see tip below). Cut off the large stem and the core as much as possible and then using your hands separate the cauliflower florets - they will all be different shapes and sizes.
- Cut off any more of the stem as much as possible so that the large cauliflower florets can be placed upright when baking.
- Heat a pan and melt some ghee or butter. Cook the tops of the larger cauliflower florets until golden brown then set aside. Cook the smaller cauliflower florets until lightly golden as well and set aside.
- Cut off the bottom stems of the silverbeet but keep most of it as they are full of juice then roughly chop the spinach (silverbeet) leaves crossways 1 cm thick.
- Arrange a bed of spinach (silverbeet) on the base of a deep skillet or other pot suitable for baking.
- Arrange the cauliflower florets over the spinach (silverbeet), filling any spaces with cauliflower and covering the spinach (silverbeet).
- In a food processor combine the pure cream, feta, quark and season with salt.
- Use a spoon or spatula to roughly spread this creamy and cheesy mixture over the cauliflower and spinach (silverbeet) then place into the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes depending on how golden and crispy you would like the top surface and how well cooked you would like the cauliflower.
Keep the cauliflower leaves as they are edible. Place into a container for storage and use to roast cauliflower chips or add them to any roast. You can even grill them and top with fresh yoghurt and pomegranate to create a great side!
Serves: 5-6 as a side dish
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45-55 minutes
Recipe and photos by Anastasia Zolotarev. Click here to see her blog.