The Beef Hanger Steak: butchers would once nab this for themselves. It’s got bags of flavour and a unique texture. Best cooked medium rare and cut against the grain.
- 2 packets Curious Cuts Beef Hanger Steak (approx. 800 g)
- 1/4 jap pumpkin (approx. 700 g)
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 250 g medley mix tomatoes
- 1/2 bunch coriander
- 1/4 bunch dill
- 1/2 bunch chives
- 1 large avocado
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 birdseye chilli
- 50 g Danish feta
- 1 bunch broccolini
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Remove the seeds from the pumpkin and wipe the skin with a wet cloth to remove dirt. Cut it into 2 cm wedges and place on a baking tray. Drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil, season with salt and pepper then toss. Cook in the oven for about 30 mins until soft and golden.
- Unpackage beef, pat dry well and season with salt and pepper.
- Finely slice the onion and garlic. Bring a small pot to high heat, drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil and add the onion and garlic. Season with salt and pepper then sauté for about 10 mins, whilst stirring regularly until golden brown.
- Bring a medium-size pot of salted water to the boil. Bring a frying pan to high heat, drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and sear beef for 6-8 mins (turning every minute) for medium-rare or medium. Remove from pan and rest for 10 mins.
- In the same pan on high heat, drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil and add the tomatoes. Cook for about 5 mins while stirring occasionally until soft, remove from heat.
- Pick the coriander and dill, discard stems and finely chop leaves. Finely chop the chives, finely dice the avocado and finely slice the chilli. Crumble the feta cheese then add ingredients to a small mixing bowl with the juice of half a lemon, 2 tbsp of olive oil and salt and pepper to season. Gently toss through.
- Blanch broccolini in boiling water for 3 mins then drain. Finely slice the beef (against the grain) and serve with the broccolini, pumpkin, tomatoes, onion and avocado salsa.
Cook Time: 45 mins