The Curious Cuts Beef Flank Steak is an adaptable sort. It’s big on flavour and has a tight texture. It likes to be marinated and grilled but is also happy in stir-fries and salads.
- 1 packet Curious Cuts Beef Flank Steak (approx. 800 g)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 20 g fresh ginger
- 2 tbsp black vinegar
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 bunch shallots
- 150 g oyster mushrooms
- 200 g king oyster mushrooms
- 150 g smoked tofu
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 bunch choy sum
- 125 g bean sprouts
- 1/4 cup fried eschallots
- Salt to taste
- Bring a medium-size pot of salted water to the boil. Peel ginger and garlic then finely grate using a microplane or a fine grater.
- In a mixing bowl, add the garlic, ginger, black vinegar, oyster sauce, sweet chilli sauce, soy sauce and sesame oil. Mix well then place the flank steak into the marinade for at least 10 mins.
- Cut the white stems from the shallots into 4 cm pieces. Finely slice the green shallot stems. Tear apart the oyster mushrooms and finely slice the king oyster mushrooms into discs. Cut the tofu into 2 cm cubes.
- Bring a large frying pan to high heat then drizzle 1 tbsp of grapeseed oil. Remove excess marinade from the meat and set aside all the remaining marinade. Sear beef for about 6 mins, turning every minute until cooked through. Remove from pan and rest for 10 mins.
- In the same pan, drizzle 1 tbsp of grapeseed oil. Sauté white shallot stems and tofu for about 2 mins then add the mushrooms. Cook for about 2 mins until mushrooms soften, then add the remaining marinade and bring to the boil. Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon and stir through. Remove pan from heat.
- Blanch the choy sum in the boiling water for about 2 mins until softened and vibrant green. Drain then add to the pan with mushrooms and shallots.
- Slice the beef across the grain as finely as possible. Serve with greens, mushrooms, bean sprouts and sweet soy dressing. Garnish with finely sliced shallots and fried eschallots.
Cook Time: 40 minutes