I never add sugar to my fruit compote. Who needs it. Savour the flavours and natural sweetness of fruit. It’s so easy to prepare this healthier alternative to sugar. Antioxidants, vitamin C and added dietary fibre by keeping the skin on. Perfect. This Apple & Strawberry Compote works as a topping for porridge or as dessert alongside natural yoghurt, topped with roasted almonds and a little fresh mint.
- 800g Royal Gala (or any red apple - kanzi, fuji etc) cut into 2cm chunks (leave skin on)
- 1 punnet washed strawberries cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange
- Zest of 1/2 an orange
- 1 cinnamon quill
- 60ml water
- Place juice, zest, water & cinnamon quill in a saucepan and bring to a simmer.
- Add chopped apples and strawberries, mix to coat then cover with baking paper.
- Place lid on and cook for about 20mins over low heat until soft. The juices will thicken to a thin syrup.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Recipe by @maya_mesimeris