This is a midweek throw together or a weekend meal that’s a real crowd pleaser.
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red onion, finely diced (+1/2 for salsa)
- 2 canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 canned diced tomatoes (no added salt)
- ¼ cup fresh coriander, finely chopped (+¼ cup for guacamole)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 avocados
- Juice of ½ fresh lemon
- Juice of ½ fresh lime
- 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, washed and diced
- 1 packet quality corn chips (look for these ingredients and only these ingredients: corn, oil and salt)
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated (optional)
- Preheat oven to 175 degrees (electric)
- Heat large frypan on medium-high heat heat, add oil. Once hot add garlic and onion, cooking for a few minutes until starting to soften.
- Add kidney beans, tinned tomatoes, coriander and season to taste. Cook for a few minutes until sauce thickens and reduces, set aside
- Scoop out avocados and take a fork to smash into a paste. Add remaining coriander, lemon, lime juice and season to taste. Mix well and set aside.
- Combine remaining red onion and the cherry tomatoes for the salsa, set aside.
- Layer ½ corn chips on a baking tray, cover with bean mixture and repeat. Cover top layer with cheddar cheese and bake for 5-7 minutes until oozy and cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately with the guacamole and salsa
If you're opting to make it vegan, you can lose the cheese. If you love a bit of meat, add in some mince. For a mince meat variation, add 400g after the onion and garlic, cooking through before adding remaining ingredients.
Recipe by this week's #HarrisFarmFoodie Nadia Felsch.