The rich, sweet, berry-like characteristics of blood oranges make them fantastic to drink and great for a truly unique salad. Try out these simple tasty ways to enjoy this special fruit.
Citrus & Grapefruit salad with nuts and pomegranate
- 2 x blood oranges
- 1 x navel oranges
- 1 x ruby grapefruit
- pomegranate seeds
- sugar snap peas
- Neatly peel the fruit
- Slice blood oranges and grapefruit, retain any extra juices to use as a dressing
- Cut orange into segments, retain any extra juices & combine with blood orange and grapefruit juice.
- Lightly toast desired amount of walnuts
- Layer and combine sliced ingredients together, sprinkle over walnuts, peas and pomegranate seeds
- Pour over dressing to taste
Blood Orange Punch
- 1.5L blood orange juice, chilled
- 3 cans (330mL each) natural chilled orange soda (San Pellegrino Aranciata)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
5 dashes bitters
- 1 blood orange, or orange, cut into 1/4-inch-thick wedges and frozen
- Fill ice cube trays with 1.5 cups (375mL) blood orange juice, and freeze.
- Stir remaining blood orange juice, soda, lime juice and bitters into a 16 cup punch bowl.
- Before serving, add frozen orange slices. Add ice cubes as needed to keep chilled.
For extra punch and an alcoholic twist add 240mL of a light rum