- 750g zucchini, coarsely grated (about 5 large zucchini)
- 250g halloumi cheese, finely grated
- 100g plain or wholewheat flour
- 1.5 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2-3 eggs
- Olive oil for cooking
- After grating the zucchini, which you can do manually using a box grater OR using the grate attachment of a food processor if you have one, spread out the zucchini onto several layers of kitchen paper. Top with 1 or two more layers of kitchen paper and use your hands to press out as much moisture from the zucchini as you can for a minute or so until the paper is damp. Transfer the zucchini to a large bowl.
- Add the cheese, flour, baking powder, mint, salt and 2 eggs and stir everything together very well. If the mixture is too dry, add the extra 3rd egg and mix. You want the mixture to be moist but not too wet.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add 1-2 tbsp oil, then spoon about 1.5 - 2 tablespoons of the zucchini mixture into the pan, using your spoon to shape it into a round patty. Do only 2-3 fritters at a time so as not to overcrowd the pan.
- Cook the fritters about 2-3 minutes per side, until nicely golden brown and firmed up. Repeat until you use up all the zucchini mixture. TIP: You could put the cooked fritters in a low oven to keep them warm while you cook the rest.
- Serve the fritters warm with a dollop of yoghurt, a scatter of fresh mint leaves and top with a fried egg sprinkled with chilli flakes if you like for a full meal.
Prep time: 15 min.
Cook time: 6 min.