Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook Time: 1 hour
- 2 ½ cups plain flour
- 1 cup vegan block butter* or solid coconut oil
- 3 tbsp cold water (as needed)
- 2 tbsp regular, brown or coconut sugar
- Pinch of any good quality salt, if using coconut oil
- ~4 peeled and cored apples, sliced thinly (Pink Lady, Granny Smith or any apple variety will work)
- 3 tbsp corn flour
- 1 lemon, juice and zest
- 3 tbsp regular, brown or coconut sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp liquid sweetener of choice (such as maple syrup)
- 1 tbsp water
To prepare the pastry:
- Mix all the pastry ingredients in a medium size bowl or food processor. If the mixture is too crumbly, add a little water and mix until it becomes a pliable dough. If the mixture is too wet, add a little more flour and mix again. Divide the pastry into 2 balls, wrap or cover in an airtight container and chill for at least 30 minutes.
- Toss all ingredients in a bowl until combined and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 25 cm pie dish.
- Remove the pie dough from the fridge. If the dough is too cold, allow it to soften at room temperature.
- On a floured surface, roll out half of the pastry into a thin circle about 5 mm thick. Transfer the pastry to your pie dish and press it against the base and sides to form a crust.
- Trim off the excess pastry and prick the bottom with a fork. Set aside.
- Layer all the apple pieces (and excess juices) into the pie crust
- On a floured surface, roll out the remaining pastry into a thin circle then transfer to your pie dish. Or to create a lattice design by cutting your pastry into 1.5cm strips and layering them on your pie filling.
- Trim away any excess pastry.
To glaze and bake
- Mix the maple syrup and water in a small bowl. Brush the mixture on your unbaked pie.
- Bake the pie for 1 hour or until the surface is golden and the apples are tender.
- Serve with a few dollops vegan ice cream. Enjoy!
* If you only have access to vegan margarine/spread, use only ⅔ cup and less or no water.