- 1 packet Next Gen Plant-Based Mince (in-stores now!)
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic
- ½ tsp cumin (ground)
- ½ tsp coriander (ground)
- ½ tsp turmeric (ground)
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 cup of breadcrumbs (see note)
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 egg
- salt & pepper
Spring quinoa salad:
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water (for the quinoa)
- 1 bunch of asparagus (ends removed)
- 5 small red radishes
- 1 small bunch of watercress (less or more depending on your preference, as it has quite a peppery taste)
- 1 cucumber
- 1 long green chilli (optional)
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
Whipped herb feta:
- 1 packet of feta
- 6 sprigs of fresh mint
- 10 sprigs of fresh parsley
- 1 lemon (juice only)
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- To prepare the quinoa, rinse it under cold water then place into a medium pot with 2 cups of water. Cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook covered with a lid for 10-15 minutes or until the water has been completed absorbed by the quinoa. Remove the lid, fluff up the quinoa and transfer into a large bowl to cool.
- To make the vegie meatball mixture blend the onion and garlic in a mixer until a roughly textured puree is formed then transfer into a large mixing bowl. Add the cumin, coriander, turmeric, garlic granules, breadcrumbs, sunflower seeds, egg and season with salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix the ingredients together until it is evenly mixed through.
- Use your hands to shape the mixture into small balls. This amount will make approximately 12-15 vegie meatballs more or less. Heat a pan to a low-medium heat and drizzle with olive oil. Cook the veggie meatballs in batches, leaving enough space in between each one to be able to turn them over and press down each one lightly using your cooking utensil. Cook on each side for 4-6 minutes (watch them carefully to not to burn them). Once cooked, set aside. Cook the second batch by adding more olive oil and repeating the process.
- To make the salad, prepare the asparagus by cutting the bunch into halves or 3 parts. Cook the asparagus for 2 minutes on a hot pan with olive oil. Set aside. Finely slice the radishes, the cucumber and the long green chilli and then roughly chop the watercress. Place the quinoa, the asparagus, the radishes, the watercress, the cucumber, the green chilli into a large bowl and add the olive oil. Mix through well and season with plenty of salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare the whipped herb feta by placing all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until a rough paste is formed still with a bit of texture. Taste and add any extra seasoning.
- Serve the quinoa salad with the veggie meatballs and the whipped herb feta on the side.
- Make your own breadcrumbs by blending some stale bread or 2-day old bread or use packet breadcrumbs. For a gluten-free option, you can use dry almond meal just make sure to double the quantity.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 30 minutes
Recipe and photos by Anastasia Zolotarev. Click here to see her blog.