There are two genius elements to this toastie. The first is the use of mayonnaise to gild the outside of the bread. This kitchen hack comes from Gabrielle Hamilton, chef at Prune in New York City. The mayonnaise gifts a beautiful bronzed crust. The second is the eschallot. This adds both sweetness and piquancy and is a key element in the Kappacasein Grilled Cheese Sandwich at London’s Borough Market, which is often nominated as the best cheese toastie in the world.
- 2 slices of bread –sourdough holds up well and contributes a good tang
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 50 g grated leftover cheese
- 1 tbsp finely diced eschallot / red onion
- Spread the mayonnaise on the outside faces of your sourdough.
- Place in a pan on medium-hot heat, or in a panini press.
- Top with the cheese, onion and the second slice of sourdough, with the mayonnaise again facing out.
- Grill, pressing down for 3-4 minutes, until the outside is golden and the inside molten. Eat hot. Serves 1.
Recipe by Tori Haschka.