Prep time: 15mins
Cooking time: 45mins
- 1 Leek
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 1 Bunch Tuscan Kale
- 500g Buffalo Ricotta (La Stella)
- 250 Shredded Cheddar
- ½ Lemon
- 375g Puff Pastry (Careme)
From the pantry:
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 ½ tsp Cumin
- 1 Egg
- 1 ½ Tbsp Poppy Seeds
1. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Finely dice the leek and roughly chop the garlic.
3. Tear off the Tuscan Kale from the hard stems and set aside.
4. Bring a large frying pan to high heat. Drizzle with olive oil and sauté the kale for approx. 3-5 mins until vibrant green, season with salt and pepper and remove from the pan.
5. Using the same frying pan, on medium high heat, drizzle more olive oil and add the leek and garlic. Sauté for 5mins until golden and soft.
6. Meanwhile, finely chop the Tuscan Kale and add to the pan. Mix through and remove from the heat. Whisk the egg in a small bowl and set aside.
7. Place the buffalo ricotta in a large mixing bowl, season with salt and pepper, sprinkle the ground cumin and add the cooked kale. Add the shredded Cheddar and the zest of half a lemon. Mix well until combined and set aside.
8. Roll out the puff pastry in a vertical way. Dived the ricotta mixture into 3 and spread 1 part of the mixture along the puff pastry on a cylindrical way so it is easy to roll the pastry over. Roll the pastry over the mixture and press firmly into a cylindrical shape making sure is tied.
9. Brush some egg mixture along the edge of the roll to make it stick one end to the other. Cut alongside and place the roll on a baking tray lined with baking paper, with the glued part facing down so they don’t open while cooking. Repeat same step to do 2 more rolls.
10. Make 2 or 3 cuts as divisions on top of the rolls to mark where to cut it once cook, brush the rolls with the remaining egg wash and sprinkle with poppy seeds.
11. Place into the oven and cook for 25-35mins until golden brown and flaky.
12. Cut through the insertions that you previously made and serve hot with fresh lemon.