- 500gm strawberries, washed, hulled and cut in quarters
- ¼ cup caster sugar, plus extra 125gm
- 1 Tbsp plain flour
- ½ tsp rosewater
- 125gm unsalted butter, softened
- 2 free-range eggs
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- Pinch of sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
- ⅓ cup (80ml) milk
- Vanilla ice-cream and cream
- Preheat oven to 160°C (fan-forced). Grease 6 x 250ml oven-safe cups/ramekins with a little butter.
- Reserve 18 strawberry quarters in a small bowl for garnishing puddings, then place remaining strawberries in a medium mixing bowl. Add 3 Tbsp caster sugar, plain flour and 1 tsp of the rosewater and stir to combine. Set aside for 15 minutes to allow strawberry juices and sugar to combine.
- Divide strawberry mixture between cups or ramekins then bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine butter and extra 125gm caster sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer, and beat until very light and creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well in between additions.
- Sift in flour and salt, stirring gently to combine, before adding vanilla, milk and remaining ½ tsp rosewater, mixing to form a smooth batter.
- Spoon batter on top of hot baked strawberries, then scatter reserved strawberry quarters over the top. Return to the oven and bake for further 20 minutes or until puddings are risen and cooked through.
- Allow puddings to stand for 10 minutes to cool slightly before serving warm with vanilla ice-cream, cream and a dollop of jam.
Recipe by Market Magazine