- 5 egg whites
- 1 ¼ cups caster sugar
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 2 cups thickened cream
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 punnet strawberries, halved
- 2 fresh figs, cut into thin wedges
- Seeds of ½ small pomegranate
- Fresh mint sprigs
- Preheat oven to 120°C, fan-forced.
- Mark out a circle (about 22cm diameter) on a sheet of baking paper. Turn paper over, place trace-side down onto a greased baking tray.
- Beat egg whites in an electric mixer until soft peaks form. With beaters running, add caster sugar 1 Tbsp at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating until thick and glossy (total beating time about 7-8 minutes). Sprinkle over cornflour and vinegar and fold gently into meringue.
- Spoon meringue mixture onto baking paper, in a wreath shape, using tracing as a guide. Gently smooth over sides and top.
- Bake in oven for 1 hour 15 minutes or until dry and crisp. Turn oven o and partly open oven door, allow pavlova to cool in oven for 2 hours. Then remove from oven and cool completely.
- To serve, beat cream and vanilla until soft peaks form. Place pavlova on a platter or board. Spoon whipped cream over top, then decorate with halved strawberries, fig wedges, seeds of pomegranate and mint sprigs.
Recipe by Market Magazine