A green and very fresh rice salad that's light, tasty and versatile. The rice used here is Barenaked Rice - a great rice alternative that is zero fat, and super low in calories & carbs!
- 2 x packets of Barenaked rice
- 200 - 250g of asparagus
- 150g French green beans
- small bunch of mint
- small bunch of parsley
- small handful of pepitas / pumpkin seeds
- 1 cup of olive oil
- Prepare a herb dressing first by blending or processing mint, parsley, ½ cup of olive oil and salt together for approximately 1 minute until the herbs and oil are almost like a paste. Set aside.
- Remove the ends of the asparagus then chop the asparagus crossways approximately 1 cm or less wide. Stop when you get to the arrow end of the asparagus. Save these and slice them longways then in half. Cook the chopped asparagus in olive oil or butter then transfer to a plate. Add the sliced raw asparagus arrow halves and mix them through the cooked asparagus. This way the salad will have both a raw and cooked asparagus flavor and texture.
- Prepare the green beans by removing the ends then cook them in some butter or olive oil until just cooked through (approximately 3 minutes)
- For the rice, drain and rinse the rice then warm it up for 3 minutes in a pan or skillet with a little bit of olive oil or butter. Add the herb dressing by mixing it through the rice until evenly combined through and the rice is coated in the green dressing. Transfer into a salad bowl.
- Add the asparagus, beans and season with salt. Transfer the warm rice salad onto a plate and top with pumpkin seeds or pepitas and freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- This spring rice salad is beautiful served with some grilled chicken on the side or barbequed prawns.
Prep time: 20 minutes.
Cook time: 15 minutes.
Recipe and photos by Anastasia Zolotarev. Click here to see her blog.