This makes a great addition to a tapas spread with cured meats or garlic prawns. Alternatively, try it as a side dish to roast chicken, lamb or grilled white fish fillets. All that you then need is a sharply dressed green salad.
- 750 g waxy potatoes - try Kipfler, Chats or Ruby Lou’s
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 1 red chilli, finely chopped
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1tsp salt, plus extra to season potatoes
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp sherry or balsamic vinegar
- 125 ml / half a cup aioli
- Chopped parsley, to serve
- Pre-heat the oven to 230C/ 450 F. Peel the potatoes and cut into rough chunks, about 2cm thick. Place the potatoes on a baking tray and drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and bake for 45- 50 minutes, shaking occasionally until golden and crispy.
- To make the sauce place 1 tbsp olive oil in a heavy bottomed pan. Add the chopped onion and cook stirring for 5-7 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, chilli, tomatoes, sugar, salt and paprika and stir. Simmer for 20 minutes until thick. Add 1 tbsp of vinegar, taste and adjust the seasoning.
- Season the potatoes with a pinch or two of sea salt. Place the tomato sauce on the bottom of a platter, arrange the potatoes over the top and drizzle with the aioli. Sprinkle the lot with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Recipe by Tori Haschka.