This will make much more date caramel than you need for the porridge. It will keep happily in the fridge for up to 5 days. Use it to top your porridge for a week, or drizzle over ice cream, baked apples puddings or brownies for an indulgent treat.
INGREDIENTSSalted date caramel:
- 75 g / 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 500 ml / 2 cups of boiling water
- 250 ml /1 cup milk (almond, cow, soy)
- To make the date caramel combine the dates, boiling water and butter in a blender. Allow to stand for 5 minutes to soften the dates. Then blend until smooth and add salt to taste.
- To make the porridge combine the oats and seeds with the water and milk and cook over a medium heat for 5-10 minutes until the oats have plumped, absorbed most of the liquid and drop easily off a spoon. Drizzle with the date caramel before serving and serve with a little extra milk on the side.