- 6 hot cross buns
- 2 plums
- 50 g dark chocolate
- 1 tbsp butter, melted (20 g)
- 1/2 cup crème fraiche (125 g)
- 1/2 cup milk (125 ml)
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tbsp rapadura sugar (30 g) (or coconut sugar or brown sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract or paste
- pinch sea salt
- Cut hot cross buns into three or four slices each – leaving the slices just-attached on the base of the buns. Thinly slice plums. Break half the chocolate into large pieces, finely chop the other half.
- Brush a baking dish (one that will comfortably fit your hot cross buns) with the melted butter, reserving any leftover.
- Layer plum pieces between the bun slices. Place the filled buns into the prepared baking dish and press larger chocolate pieces into any gaps. Scatter the finely chopped chocolate over the top and drizzle buns with the remaining butter.
- In a medium bowl whisk the crème fraiche and vanilla until loosened. Add the milk and whisk again. Add the eggs, sugar and salt and whisk once more until smooth and well combined.
- Pour the custard mixture over the buns and set aside to soak for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Bake the hot cross bun pudding for 30 – 35 minutes, until custard is just puffed in the centre and the top of the buns are golden. Cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with yoghurt, ice cream or even custard.
- Any flavour of hot cross buns will work here, we used traditional fruit and spice.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes.
Recipe and Photography by Jennifer Jenner of 84thand3rd.com