Add these to the side of stir fries, whole roasted fish or pan seared duck. Alternatively slice them thinly and lob them into a bacon and egg roll for a morning kick start.
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1.5 cm piece of ginger, cut into coins
- 2 star anise
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 200g fennel, peeled, trimmed and cut into batons
- 200g bull horn chillis
- Combine the spices, vinegar, water, sugar and salt in a saucepan. Bring to the boil and stir to allow the sugar to dissolve.
- Pack the vegetables into jars, leaving 2 cm clear at the top. Pour over the brine, covering the vegetables, still leaving 1.5 cm clear at the top.
- Tap the jars against the counter to remove the air bubbles. Place the lids on and store in the refrigerator.
- These will be best if stored for at least 2 days before cracking open. These will keep for up to a month in the fridge.