A standing beef rib roast is an impressive family meal. Follow our tips to cooking it perfectly every time.
Try fresh herbs such as thyme sprigs, sage leaves, rosemary or oregano. Chop the herbs and rub into the beef.
Other zesty options include green peppercorns and crushed garlic or honey and wholegrain mustard.
top tips for a perfect standing rib roast
- Preheat oven to 200C.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes per 500g for a medium doneness.
- Gently prod or squeeze the roast with blunt tongs:
- Rare is very soft,
- Medium is springy but soft,
- Medium well is firm and well done is very firm.
- Cover loosely with foil andlet it rest for 10-15 minutes before slicing.
Simple steps for crispy roast potatoes
- Choose a floury potato - Desiree, Coliban or Sebago are the best for roasting.
- Line a large oven tray with baking paper. Preheat oven to 200C. Peel and cut potatoes into even sized pieces.
- Rinse them in cold water and then dry well with a clean tea towel. This will ensure crispy potatoes.
- Spread cut potatoes over the tray. Spray or brush lightly with extra virgin olive oil. Cook until crispy. Turn them once towards the end of the cooking time.
Super easy vegie sides for your roast
- Green beans tossed with butter and toasted almonds
- Roasted onions, capsicums and zucchini with thyme
- Braised baby carrots with butter and cumin