The Curious Cuts Beef Tri Tip is the prize cut of the rump. This soft and tasty cut loves a quick roast, to be cut into skinny steaks, rubbed with spices, or stir-fried.
- 1 packet Curious Cuts Beef Tri Tip (approx. 1 kg)
- 3 tbsp Shiro miso paste
- 2 tbsp mirin
- 2 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 cup of water
- 2 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 1/2 bunch shallots
- 300 g mixed mushrooms (such as shiitake, wood ear, shimeji)
- 200 g sugar snap peas
- 500 g fresh udon noodles
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes or 1 birdseye chilli, sliced (optional)
- 1/2 tbsp black sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. In a medium-size mixing bowl, add the miso paste, mirin, tamari, sesame oil and a 1/2 cup of water, mix together well.
- Trim some of the excess fat from the tri-tip then place in the miso marinade. Coat well and marinate for at least 10 mins.
- In a large frying pan on high heat, drizzle 1 tbsp grapeseed oil. Before searing, remove excess marinade from meat. Reserve the remaining marinade.
- Once the pan is hot, sear the beef for 6-8 mins until golden brown, cooking for a minute on each side before turning. Place the tri-tip on a baking tray lined with baking paper then brush over some more of the marinade. Cook in the oven for about 20 mins until golden brown and just cooked through.
- Meanwhile, finely slice the mushrooms. Top and tail the sugar snap peas and devein them. Finely slice the shallots, reserving a small handful of the green stems for garnish. Bring a large frying pan to high heat, drizzle 1 tbsp grapeseed oil and sauté the shallots and mushrooms for about 3 mins until golden. Add the remaining marinade and bring to the boil. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once cooked, remove beef from the oven and rest for at least 10 mins before finely slicing. Place noodles and sugar snaps in the boiling water for about 2 mins or as per packet instructions. Drain and add to the mushroom pan then stir well. Squeeze over the juice of a lemon and more water if necessary. Sprinkle the sesame seeds and chilli then top with the sliced beef.
Cooking time: 40 mins