This impressive looking tart is actually very effortless to make! All you need is some juicy mangoes as well as a short list of other ingredients. The tart is basically cooked upside down so the juices of the fruit and the citrus butter remain. Super delicious and a great way to create a dessert that has less sugar too is by using sweet and ripe mangoes!
- 3 x mangoes
- 2 x limes (juiced)
- 100 g unsalted butter (diced)
- ¼ cup light muscavado or coconut sugar
- 1 x sheet of thick puff pastry (Careme) (or if using other puff pastry use 2 layers)
- Defrost the puff pastry by removing it from the freezer and the packaging 20- 30 minutes before using.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- Prepare the mango slices by cutting 2 mango cheeks per mango. Use a tablespoon to remove and scoop out the mango from the skin. Slice the mango cheeks thinly. Set aside.
- Prepare the buttery lime syrup by placing the sugar, the citrus juice from the lime and the butter into a small pot, mixing constantly as the butter melts and the sugar dissolves. Bring this mixture to a boil then reduce the heat and simmer for another 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Set aside.
- Use a similar size plate to your skillet or your base and place it lightly over the pastry, use a knife to cut a circle from the pastry sheet. Then set it aside for the time being.
- To arrange the tart tatine use either a skillet, a round iron base or other round shaped pan that can be placed into the oven. Sprinkle a little bit of extra sugar on the base. Pour the buttery lime syrup over the base of your skillet. Arrange the mango slices in a round circle all facing the same direction (see photos) and place some smaller shaped mangoes in the centre. You might have some extra mango pieces – just place the few left over on top evenly spread out as a second layer.
- Place the round puff pastry over the mangoes and tuck the edges in. Score the pastry with a knife then bake it for 30-40 minutes or until the pastry has risen and is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let the tart tatine settle down and cool. Place a large plate over the top and flip the tart tatine over so the mangoes are facing up.
- Serve as is or with some crème fraiche, vanilla or coconut ice cream.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
Serves: 6 slices