Prep/Cook Time: 50 minutes
- 375g pack Carême All Butter Puff, Pastry defrosted
- 3 mangoes
- 1 egg, beaten
- Toasted coconut curls, to serve
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 150g almond meal
- 1tsp ground cardamom
- To make the frangipane, combine sugar and butter in a bowl and beat until pale. Then add egg and beat until just combined. Add almond meal and cardamom and mix with a wooden spoon to incorporate and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan forced (220°C conventional). Unroll the pastry and cut into 10 x 9cm rounds. Spread a tablespoon of frangipane mixture in the centre of the pastry circles leaving a 1cm border. Refrigerate until mango is prepared.
- Cut mango cheeks from seed and remove skin. Thinly slice mango cheeks and spread the slices out a little so the slices form a long line. Roll the slices from one edge until a small flower shape forms and then repeat with remaining mango.
- Top the frangipane on each pastry round with a mango flower and brush the border with beaten egg. Place in the oven and drop the temperature to 180°C for 20 minutes until the pastry is golden brown. Remove from oven and cool for 10 minutes before serving with a sprinkle of icing sugar and toasted coconut curls.
- NOTE: This recipe will make more frangipane than you need but it is the minimum amount possible due to the inclusion of a full egg. The remaining frangipane mixture can be frozen and is great to have on hand for a quick late night sweet treat.