- 750g x Lamb mince (or beef mince if you prefer)
- 1 x onion (finely diced)
- 1 x garlic (crushed)
- 2 x tsp dry oregano
- 2 x tsp dry coriander or cumin
- 2 x eggs
- 1 x tbsp olive oil
- 2 x tbsp. flour (plain flour or use millet flour for a gluten-free option)
- salt and pepper
- 3 x medium beetroots (or use canned beetroot to save on cooking time)
- 1 x pineapple
- 1 x iceberg lettuce
- 3 cups grated cheese
- tomato sauce or relish
- 10 x burger brioche rolls
- Prepare a large pot of water and place the beetroot into the pot (keep the beetroot whole and unpeeled). Bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer with the lid on for 45 minutes or slightly longer until the beetroot is cooked all the way through. Check by using a knife to pierce through to the centre. The beetroot will be ready when the knife can go through to the centre easily. Discard the water and set aside to cool down.
- Whilst the beetroot is cooking, move on to prepare the lamb burger patties. Place the lamb mince, onion, garlic, oregano, coriander, eggs, olive oil, salt and pepper into a bowl and mix through well using your hands. Add the flour and combine well. The mixture needs to feel moist however slightly sticky and firm enough to make patties. Add more flour if necessary. Roll into medium sized balls and flatten so that the diameter is slightly less than the size of the burger roll.
- Heat a large pan with olive oil or ghee. Cook the lamb patties on each side for 3 minutes minimum or until cooked through. If you would like the cheese to be melted, add the grated cheese over each lamb pattie and cover with foil, turn the heat off and set aside for 1 minute. Otherwise serve the cheese grated.
- Remove the ends and skin of the pineapple and slice into fine slices. Separate the iceberg lettuce leaves and wash then dry them. Peel each beetroot and finely slice.
- Slice the burger buns in half however not slicing through completely, leaving one side still attached. Spread the relish or tomato sauce on the base, top with pineapple, the lamb pattie and cheese, the beetroot and lettuce.
- Chargrill or barbecue the pineapple for extra flavour!
Prep time: 30 minutes.
Cook time: 1 hour.
Makes: 10 burgers.