Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
3 medium Imperfect Granny Smith apples, peeled, quartered and cores cut out
75g caster sugar
50g cold butter, cut into cubes
1 vanilla bean (optional), split and seeds scraped
Careme frozen spelt butter pastry
Vanilla ice cream or double cream to serve
- Take the pastry out of the freezer to soften slightly and preheat the oven to 190℃.
- Cut a round of pastry, around 24cm (use a dinner plate as a guide). Keep in the fridge to stay cold.
- Spread the sugar evenly over a heavy-based, oven-safe pan around 20cm in diameter. Melt the sugar over medium heat and cook until it turns amber. Add the butter and vanilla seeds and stir to combine, cooking for 1-2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat and arrange the apples tightly, round-side-down in the pan starting from the outside.
- Carefully place the pastry over the top, tucking in the edges firmly around the sides. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden and cooked through. Remove from the oven and allow to cool briefly, around 2 minutes. Move the tarte around in the pan to loosen slightly. Place a plate over the top and carefully invert. Serve with vanilla ice cream or double cream.
Breda is a freelance food content creator, recipe developer and stylist living and working in Sydney. She is passionate about all food that is full of flavour; community, family, heritage and hospitality are at the centre of her food philosophy. She runs Una Mas Creative with her husband, making original and branded content. Check out Breda's Instagram here, and Unamas Creative page here!