Apples work beautifully with warming Autumn flavours like cinnamon and nutmeg. These flour-free muffins make a delicious breakfast on the go or mid-afternoon pick-me-up … the perfect addition to your kid’s lunchbox, as well as a simple dessert with Greek yoghurt. Taking 20 minutes to bake, without all the added nasties (no flour or refined sugar in these guys), they will fill you up and help keep you fuller for longer.
Apples are pretty much the most perfect snack. They contain a good dose of fibre, vitamin C (in their raw state). A powerful antioxidant known as quercetin that has been known to help brain cells from degeneration. Their high amount of fibre will aid with digestion through the small and large intestine.
Cinnamon has a carminative effect on the body and will also help balance blood sugars. Meaning that it will help with those insulin spikes from eating refined carbohydrates or sugar forming foods.
Oats are a fabulous slow release energy booster and great to kick start your day, they contain naturally forming vitamin B’s which is known to help improve your mood, anxiety and PMS. They also contain a high level of soluble dietary fibre which is great for your circulation and for digestion.
Ginger is a powerful root herb, great for immunity, infection and can be used for motion sickness, pain relief and can also aid digestion.
Coconut contains manganese which can act as an antioxidant and some essential amino acids for helping your body repair and nourish.
Eggs are a great source of good quality protein which contain all the essential amino acids these will nourish, replenish and repair tissue, skin and muscles. Choose organic entails that the beef has none of the added hormones, antibiotics and so on, which have been known to disrupt our own hormones.
Makes 6-8 Muffins.
- 1.5 Cups Rolled Oats
- 2 Tbsp Coconut Flour
- ½ Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
- ½ Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tbsp Cinnamon
- 1 Pinch Salt
- 1/3 Cup Raw Honey (can substitute for maple syrup if vegan)
- 2 Eggs (can substitute for 2 flax eggs if vegan)
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
- ½ Cup Naked Ginger*, finely chopped
- 2 Apples Grated
- Preheat oven to 190°C. In one large bowl add the dry ingredients; rolled oats, coconut flour, bi-carb, nutmeg, cinnamon and pinch of sea salt.
- Grab another bowl and add the wet ingredients; honey, eggs, vanilla essence and mix well with a fork.
- Slowly add wet ingredients to dry and key stirring until all combined.
- Once combined, finally add the apple and ginger muffin mix, stir well together.
- Spoon into lined muffin tin or silicon muffin tray. Place in oven for 20 minutes or until browned and cooked through.
*Naked ginger is crystalised ginger without the sugar coating. A substitute for this (in the recipe) could be dried fruit like dried dates and some freshly grated ginger (1 thumb).
Recipe by Rosie Eyre of By Rosie.