- 1 cup spelt flour
- 1 x small egg yolk
- 3 tbsp x warm water
- 100g x butter (unsalted)
- 50 g x parmesan cheese
- pinch of salt
- Slaw other preferred salad
- Hot sauce or smokey relish
- Prepare the pastry first, as it needs to rest in the fridge for 30 minutes. Begin by placing all of the pastry ingredients into a food processor and process for approximately 1 minute or until the mixture has mostly come together. Remove the pastry mix from the processor and place it onto a lightly floured surface and use your hands to bring it together into a smooth ball (No kneading necessary). Wrap the ball in plastic wrapping and place in the fridge for 30 minutes before rolling it out.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees.
- While the pastry is resting in the fridge prepare the quiche filling. Bring a large pot filled with water to boil and place the corn cobs into the pot for 2 minutes. Remove the corn cobs from the water and place onto a wooden board. Once slightly cooled, slice off the corn from the cobs. In a medium bowl whisk the eggs, cream, milk and salt. Then add the grated cheese and corn. Mix through.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge then place it onto a floured surface. Roll it out into a large circle (using your quiche/tart base as a guide for the size of the circle). Roll out the pastry to an even thickness and use your hands to smooth out any cracked edges. Transfer the pastry to the quiche base and use your hands to press the pastry into the base. Trim any excess pastry off (see note below).
- Blind bake the pastry in the oven for 15 minutes (see note below).
- Once you have blind baked the pastry remove it from the oven temporarily and take off the baking paper with baking weights. Pour the quiche filling in so that it reaches the top edges of the pastry shell. Place back into the oven and bake for another 30 minutes minimum or until you see that the edges of the quiche are golden brown and the surface has risen.
- Turn the oven off and let the quiche sit in the oven for a few minutes more. Remove completely from the oven and allow to cool slightly for a few minutes then remove the quiche shell/tart base if possible.
- Serve with your favourite Mexican toppings such as guacamole and slaw.
- Use plenty of flour to cover the surface before rolling out the pastry
- To place the pastry into your tart/quiche shaped form you can use a variety of techniques. I would recommend rolling the pastry over your pastry roller and then placing it over the edge of your quiche base to roll it over the top. Then press it into the edges and trim the excess pastry off.
- Blind baking is when you cover the pastry with baking paper and some heavy baking weights or grains in order to keep the baking paper down and covering the raw pastry. Normally it is good to blind bake for 15 minutes so that the pastry cooks through partially.
Prep time: 30 minutes + 30 minutes fridge time for the pastry
Cook time: 45 minutes
Makes: 1 medium sized quiche