- 200g dark chocolate, chopped
- 200g plain flour
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
Rich chocolate icing:
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- 250g dark chocolate, chopped
- 400g unsalted butter, softened
- 2 1/3 cups (350g) icing sugar, sifted
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Grease and line a 23cm springform cake pan with baking paper. Place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water (don’t let the bowl touch the water), stirring until melted and smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Sift flour, cocoa, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Set aside.
- Place the butter and caster sugar in a separate bowl and beat with electric beaters until thick and pale. Add the eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add cooled chocolate and vanilla and beat well to combine. Fold in the flour mixture, then add the milk and gently stir to combine.
- Spread the batter into the cake pan and bake for 45–50 minutes until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the icing, place the chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a saucepan of gently simmering water (don’t let the bowl touch the water), stirring until melted and smooth, then cool. Place butter and sifted icing sugar in a separate bowl and beat with electric beaters for 6-8 minutes until very thick and pale. Carefully fold in the cooled chocolate. Spread the icing over the cooled cake and serve. Serves 8-10.
From the book delicious. Celebrate by Valli Little. Reproduced with the permission of delicious magazine and ABC Books.