- 6-7 mandarins
- 1 tbsp of mandarin zest
- 200 g chocolate (finely chopped) - choose between milk or dark chocolate
- ¼ cup pure cream
- Prepare the mandarin zest first by using a micro plane or extremely fine grater. Grate enough zest to make 1 large heaped tablespoon then set aside.
- Peel the mandarins and separate each mandarin into wedges.
- To prepare the chocolate sauce set up a bain marie and then place in the finely chopped chocolate and pour in the pure cream. Using a spatula continuously stir the mixture until the chocolate is melted through completely and mixed in through the cream. Remove this bowl from the heat and place onto a surface to cool for 5 minutes or so – help the mixture to cool by using the spatula to stir through the chocolate every minute or so. Once the chocolate has cooled down it will be thicker so it will cover the mandarins with a nice layer.
- Prepare a piece of baking paper to place the mandarin wedges on top once coated in chocolate.
- To coat the mandarin pieces, dip each wedge of mandarin into the chocolate bowl and then place it onto the baking paper.
- Once each mandarin wedge has been coated in chocolate sprinkle the mandarin zest on top. You can eat these straight away! Or allow to cool for a few hours until the chocolate is firmer.
- If you like really dark chocolate then use 70% dark chocolate and no cream. Melt the chocolate in the same method as described above. The lack of cream will keep that dark bitter flavor. However just note that the chocolate will firm up much faster once taken off the heat.