These nuts are surprisingly addictive, salty but sweet, smokey and a little spicy. Try serving them with Christmas drinks, or as a present for everyone from co workers, to your uncle. Chipotle chilli can vary in spiciness depending on the brand you use, so use your tastebuds as a guide when making these.
Makes 6-8 small jars of surprisingly addictive nuts.
- 850g mixed nuts (almonds, cashews, walnuts, brazil nuts and hazelnuts all work very well)
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 40g caster sugar
- 4 tsp sea salt flakes
- 2-3 tsp smoked chipotle chilli powder (depending on how spicy you like things)
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- Preheat the oven to 160°C/320°F and prepare two large baking sheets with baking paper (you will need to cook the nuts in batches).
- Combine the beaten egg white with the caster sugar, salt and spices in a large bowl. Add the nuts to the bowl and stir to combine.
- Transfer the contents onto the baking sheets, being sure to spread the nuts out. You don’t want them crowded together. The more breathing space between the nuts, the crunchier they will be.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden and crunchy. Allow to cool then transfer to airtight jars. These will happily keep for a couple of weeks.
Recipe by Tori Haschka.