Toss this salad just before eating or the cabbage will soften too much. Try serving it with marinated pork steaks, chicken skewers, grilled fish or prawns.
Serves 4 as a side.
- Half a Chinese cabbage (approx. 600 g)
- 1 cucumber
- 1/2 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 1/2 bunch mint, roughly chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 1/2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 handful of cashews, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (black or white, or a mix of both)
- Cut the Chinese cabbage in half, lengthwise, then finely shred crosswise, or use a mandolin.
- Shred the cucumber on a mandolin, or cut into long slim ribbons
- Toss the cabbage, spring onion, mint, coriander and chilli together.
- To make the dressing, whisk the honey and vinegar together, then whisk in the fish sauce and sesame oil. Pour over the cabbage mixture just prior to serving and lightly toss, scatter with nuts and sesame seeds and serve.