- 2 x large fennel bulbs (halved and roughly chopped)
- 1 cup of fennel fronds
- 1 x cup of pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- juice from 1 lemon
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare a hot pan with olive oil and add the chopped fennel. Sauté on medium heat for 10 minutes stirring the fennel every minute or so. It should become caramelized and golden brown on the surfaces.
- Add the pepitas and chilli flakes and stir them through cooking for an extra 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and transfer the fennel mixture into a food processor.
- Add the lemon juice, salt and a little bit of the olive oil then begin processing the mixture. After 1 minute of processing slowly add more olive oil until the fennel pesto thickens and has a fine texture.
- Serve topped with pepitas and fennel fronds.
- As a side dip for roasted pork belly
- Great as a condiment for a charcuterie board with cured meats, bread and pickles and cheeses
- On the side with seafood such as grilled or bbq prawns
- With crackers
- In little condiment jars as a gift for friends