- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 butternut pumpkin
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3-4 large leaves of kale, thinly sliced
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 cup of walnuts
- feta or goat cheese (optional)
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 190C. Cook brown rice as per packet instructions. While the rice is cooking, peel butternut pumpkin and remove the seeds. Cut into cubes. Put the butternut cubes on a large sheet pan. Put onion slices on the sheet pan with the butternut pumpkin. Drizzle olive oil over the vegetables and sprinkle with salt. Toss to coat. Bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, until the onion begins to brown and the squash is tender.
- Remove the seeds from the pomegranate. Make the dressing by combining the dressing ingredients above in a small bowl and wisk well.
- Remove pumpkin from the oven and let cool slightly (about 10 minutes). Assemble the salad by first combining the rice with the dressing in a large bowl. Then add the butternut pumpkin and onions, kale, pomegranate seeds, and walnuts. Toss very gently until just combined. Finish with a sprinkling of crumbled feta or goats cheese.