This fresh & light salad is the perfect way to highlight the beautiful flavours & colours of blood oranges. Blood oranges taste fantastic with fennel, fresh dill & the slightly sweet dressing that ties this salad all together.
- 3 blood oranges
- 1 fennel bulb
- 2 good handfuls of rocket
- 1 tbsp pistachio nuts chopped
- 1/4 bunch of dill fronds (roughly chopped)
- Juice of 1 blood orange
- 1 tbsp fine chopped dill
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small clove of garlic (optional)
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Using a mandoline slicer, finely slice the fennel bulb and place in a mixing bowl along with the rocket and roughly chopped dill fronds. Using a paring knife, cut the skin off the blood oranges and slice them into thin slices. Add the blood oranges to the salad when serving to prevent the salad from going pink while you make the dressing.
- To make the dressing, place all the ingredients into a small jar with a lid and shake well. If you prefer a slightly sweeter dressing, add a little extra dash of maple syrup and adjust to your taste.
- Dress the salad and serve on a flat plate to show off the lovely colours of the blood oranges peaking through the salad.
- Serve with the roughly chopped pistachio nuts sprinkled over the top.