Pillowy by name, pillowy by texture. The Curious Cuts Beef Pillow Steak is a hard-to-find, fillet-like steak is from the hindquarter. It’s dreamy when cooked medium rare.
- 2 packets Curious Cuts Beef Pillow Steak (4 steaks)
- 4 large Desiree potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large eschallot
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 3 eggs
- 150 g salted butter
- 1/2 punnet fresh tarragon
- 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 bunches asparagus
- 2 bunches broccolini
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 220°C. Quarter the potatoes lengthways, place in a pot and fill with salted water. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to medium, simmer for 10 mins then drain well. Place potatoes on a baking tray, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with 1 tbsp olive oil and toss. Cook in the oven for about 40 mins until golden and crisp.
- Finely chop the eschallot then place in a small pot. Add 1 sprig of the tarragon and the white wine vinegar, then bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until the liquid reduces to about half a tablespoon and the onions are soft and translucent. Meanwhile, pick and finely chop the tarragon.
- Fill a small pot with water (a quarter full) and bring to the boil. Separate the egg yolks from the whites then place yolks in a mixing bowl, then add the cooked eschallot. Remove pot from heat and place the mixing bowl on top. Using an electric mixer (or balloon whisk), mix the eggs on high until thick and pale, about 6 mins.
- Clarify the butter; add to a small pot on medium heat and melt without stirring. Once the butter has separated, slowly pour out the clarified butter (top layer only) into the egg and eschallot reduction. Do this whilst whisking until thick and well combined.
- Add the juice of half a lemon and a tablespoon of warm water, stir through. Pass the sauce through a fine sieve to remove the onion and to smoothen. Add chopped tarragon and cayenne pepper. Season well with salt and pepper and mix together.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil. Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Place a large frying pan on high heat, drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil and sear steaks for about 4 mins in total (turning every minute) until cooked. Remove from the pan and rest for 10 mins.
- Trim the hard ends from the asparagus and broccolini then blanch in the boiling water for about 3 mins until cooked, drain and serve. Slice the steaks into 1/2 cm pieces and serve with warm bearnaise and roasted potatoes.
Cook Time: 1 hour