A quick and tasty way to prepare asparagus spiced up with cumin and parmesan.
- 4 bunches of asparagus, trimmed of woody bottoms
- Juice half a lemon
- Reggiano Parmesan cheese
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp of Murray River salt flakes
- 1 tsp of toasted ground cumin seeds
- A pinch of dried chilli flakes (optional)
- Fresh black pepper
- Pound cumin in mortar and pestle until fine. Stir in salt and chilli to cumin salt.
- Boil asparagus in salted water for 2-3 minutes. To test if the asparagus is cooked cut the bottom off one spear and taste. When cooked remove from water and pat dry.
- Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and char the outside on the BBQ for colour and caramelization.
- Place in a mixing bowl and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle with cumin salt and season with black pepper.
- Use a microplane (very fine grater) grate parmesan over the top.
Recipe thanks to Alex Kearns, Executive Chef, Glebe Point Diner