- 55 g (1/3 cup + 2 tsp) plain flour
- 55 g (1/3 cup + 2 tsp) self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda (baking soda)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 85 g (1/3 cup + 2 tsp) caster sugar
- 50 ml (2 1/2 tablespoons) oil
- 125 g (heaped 1/3 cup) honey
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup freshly brewed black tea
- 1 granny smith apple, peeled and grated
Cream Cheese Icing
- 125 g cream cheese, softened
- 80 g (4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
- 140 g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- You will need 6 large cupcake cases/muffin liners and a muffin tin for the cases to sit in. You can also use baking paper to line the muffin tin: (https://www.thekitchn.com/how-to-make-pretty-muffin-liners-out-of-parchment-paper-cooking-lessons-from-the-kitchn-213478)
- Sift the dry ingredients together into a bowl. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the egg, caster sugar, oil, honey, vanilla and tea until well combined and a little foamy. Add the dry ingredients, mixing gently until just combined. Stir through the grated apple.
- Spoon the batter into 6 large cupcake moulds or baking paper lined muffin tins, filling to just over half way.
- Bake at 180 C for 30 minutes or until golden brown and just firm to the touch. Allow to cool completely before icing.
- To make the icing, whisk together the cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy. Add the icing sugar and whisk until smooth and light.
- Makes 6 large, generously-iced cupcakes.