- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 apples
- 2 cups self raising flour
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup of honey, melted
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- 3 tsp vanilla essence
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup of walnuts (to decorate)
- 180g cream cheese
- 50g butter
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Peel, core and chop the apples and cut into small cubes. Place them in a pot and add 2 cups of water and leave them on medium/low heat for 15 minutes. Drain the water and leave the apples to cool down.
- In a large bowl mix the grated carrot, flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl beat the eggs for 1 minute. Add the melted honey, melted coconut oil and vanilla, mix well.
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, making sure it is well combined. Add the apple to the mixture.You can use two cake pans to make a double layered cake. Using oil or butter, lightly grease the cake pan/s. Slowly pour the mixture into the cake pan/s.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Check the cake with a toothpick before removing from the oven, the toothpick should come out clean once cooked. Allow cake to cool completely before icing.
- Make the icing: In a glass bowl add the cream cheese and butter and beat together for 2 minutes or until well combined. Add the vanilla and beat for another minute. The mixture needs to be thick and creamy so it can be applied to the cake easily.
- Place the cake onto a cake tray and top with the frosting. If you baked two cakes then ice the middle layer first and then place the second cake on top and then ice the sides.
- Once the cake is iced, sprinkle the walnuts over the top. Store the cake in the fridge to ensure the icing doesn’t melt.
Recipe thanks to Julia and Libby. Visit them at http://juliaandlibby.com/