- 4 medium egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 tsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp cornflour
- 1 tsp peppermint extract
- Few drops green food colouring
- 100g dark chocolate
- 1/3 cup toasted hazelnuts, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 150C / fan-forced. Prepare 2 large flat baking trays with grease-proof paper.
- Using a stand mixer or hand mixer whisk the egg whites until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the caster sugar and whisk further until stiff peaks form. Add the white vinegar and cornflour and whisk through.
- Attach a large round or decorative-shaped piping nozzle to a piping bag. Using a pastry brush, brush green food colouring in stripes on the inside of the bag. Fill the bag with meringue.
- Pip out small 20 cent size kisses onto the prepared baking tray, allowing space between each one.
- Place in the oven, turn the temperature down to 110C, and bake for 50 minutes.
- Once cooked turn off the oven and allow to cool down with the oven door slightly ajar until completely cooled.
- Melt the chocolate over a double boiler, allow to cool for a few minutes. Dip the base of a meringue kiss in the chocolate than in a bowl of the chopped toasted hazelnuts. Place on a sheet of greaseproof paper to set. Repeat the process for the remainder of the meringue kisses.
- Once the chocolate is set place it in a jar or an airtight container. Add a ribbon for the perfect Christmas gift.