- 2 beetroots, trimmed, scrubbed
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 200ml white wine vinegar
- 200ml thickened cream, whipped to soft peaks
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp dry mustard powder or 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tbs horseradish cream
- 100g baby salad leaves or watercress
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 2 x 170g hot-smoked trout fillets, flaked
- Simmer beetroot in a pan of boiling, salted water until tender (this can take up to 1 hour).
- Place all but 1 teaspoon sugar into a saucepan with 400ml water. Stir over low heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the onion and simmer for 3 minutes, then add the vinegar. Peel and slice the beetroot into rounds and add to the onion mixture, then remove from the heat and leave the beetroot to cool in the pickling liquid.
- When ready to serve, combine the whipped cream, lemon juice, mustard, horseradish, remaining teaspoon of sugar and some salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Strain the beetroot and onion from the pickling mixture and arrange on a plate with the salad leaves, fennel and the flaked salmon. Serve with the horseradish cream. Serves 4.