These charred greens work perfectly as a side dish when barbecuing meats, fish, or on their own with a variety of other vegetable salads. You could also top them with some grilled halloumi, or a fried egg.
Serves 2-3 as a side dish, or 1 as a main when topped with an egg, or grilled halloumi.
- 200g roughly chopped kale or other greens, stemmed and chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- Chilli flakes to taste
- 250g halloumi
- Toss greens with the oil and salt.
- Heat a large cast-iron skillet over high, or a barbecue grill plate. Add the greens in batches, stirring frequently, until lightly charred and wilted, approx. 4 mins.
- Add the cut lemon, face down into the pan and allow it to char and caramelise.
- Meanwhile heat a medium sized pan, add oil and cook the halloumi on each side until golden brown.
- Dress the greens in the juice of the caramelised lemon. Garnish with chilli flakes and serve with the halloumi.