For the muffins:
- 1x 250g pack of natural Love Beets® cooked beetroot, drained
- 200g golden syrup
- 200g black treacle
- 150g unsalted butter
- 125g dark brown sugar
- 100g stem ginger, cut into fine dice
- 4tsp ground ginger
- 2tsp ground cinnamon
- 250ml milk
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
- 1tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 300g plain flour
For the icing:
- Zest 1 lemon, plus 1tbs juice
- 150g icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C, line a 12 hole muffin tray with cases.
- In a saucepan , add the golden syrup, black treacle, butter, dark brown sugar, stem ginger and both ground spices. Warm gently until butter and sugar have melted.
- Purée the beetroot in a food processor, and blend with the eggs, milk and bicarbonate of soda.
- Once the butter and sugar have melted, take the saucepan off the heat and add the milk, eggs & beetroot.
- Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl and beat in the wet ingredients until they are smooth - batter will be quite runny.
- Fill the muffin cases with the batter - this is easier if you use a jug - and bake in the preheated oven until firm but springy to the touch. Be careful not to overcook the muffins, they are nice a little sticky. Remove from the tin and allow to cool on a rack.
- Whilst the muffins are cooling make the icing by beating all the ingredients to a smooth paste. Drizzle over the muffins when they are completely cold. These muffins keep really well for a few days in an airtight tin.
Preparation Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Serves: 12 large muffins
Recipe by Love Beets Australia.