A great way to use up leftover roast chicken! Serves 4.
- 375g pack Carême all butter puff pastry, defrosted
- 40g unsalted butter
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- ½ cup thickened cream
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken
- ¼ cup chopped basil
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach, wilted, drained and chopped
- 1 egg, beaten, for glaze
- Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add chicken stock and wine, cook for a further 2-3 minutes, whisk constantly to remove any lumps. Add cream and cook for a further minute or until the mixture boils and thickens. Remove from heat, add lemon zest, season, cover and allow to cool. Add chicken, basil, spring onions and spinach to mix.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C fan-forced (200°C conventional), line a baking tray with baking paper. Dust pastry and work bench with flour, roll pastry to 38cm x 38cm square. Cut one rectangle 17cm x 38cm for the bottom and place on baking tray, the remaining 21cm x 38cm rectangle is for the top. Spoon the cooled chicken mixture over the pie base, leaving a 2cm border. Brush border with egg glaze.
- Place remaining pastry over the filling, press edges together to seal. Chill in fridge or freezer for 15 minutes. Brush all over with the beaten egg glaze and using a very sharp knife score top of pie.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then reduce oven temperature to 180°C fan-forced (200°C conventional) and cook for a further 25 minutes or until pastry is golden.
Recipe by Carême Pastry.