Try this easy to prepare flavour filled warm salad. The perfect accompaniment to a winter dinner or work lunches.
Warm giant couscous and spicy pumpkin salad
- 1 medium butternut pumpkin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp paprika
- 125g giant couscous (Israeli)
- 15g butter
- 75g pine nuts, toasted
- 1 red chilli, deseed and finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- Bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- Bunch flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Bunch mint, roughly chopped
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 50ml olive oil
- 1 tsp vinegar
- Heat oven to 220C. Peel and deseed the pumpkin and cut into 1.5 cm cubes. Place in a roasting tin, drizzle over 2 tbn of the olive oil and sprinkle over the spices and a little salt. Toss pumpkin to coat evenly, then roast in the oven for about 30 minutes or until tender and browned. Remove and set aside to cool.
- To cook couscous, bring 1 litre of water to the boil in a medium saucepan with a pinch of salt. Add the couscous, bring back to a simmer for 15 - 18 minutes. Drain well, place in a large bowl and stir in butter and remaining oil and set aside.
- Add roast pumpkin, pine nuts, herbs, chilli and spring onions to the couscous.
- For the dressing, mix the olive oil, vinegar and 1 tbn lemon juice together with salt and pepper then pour over the couscous mixture.
- Toss, taste and serve.
Approx. 4 serves
Recipes thanks to Kathy Kordalis, Home Economist