Preparation/cooking time: 3.5 hours
- 1 x 1kg Oyster blade
- 1 tbsp Oil
- ½ Onion, peeled and diced
- 1 stick Celery, diced
- 1 med size Carrot, peeled and diced
- 150 ml Red wine
- 1 can Crushed tomatoes
- 400ml Beef stock
- 3 sprig Thyme
- 2 Bay leaves
- Salt and pepper
For the creamed kale and gruyere gratin
- 1 bunch of Kale, discard stems, leaves coarsely chopped
- 50g Butter
- 2 cloves Garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 300 ml Cream
- 80g Gruyere cheese
- ¼ tsp Ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- Pre heat oven to 160°C.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom oven proof pot, season oyster blade with salt and pepper add to pan and sear on all sides until caramelised and golden than remove beef and set aside.
- Add onion, celery, carrot to pan and gently fry for 1-2 minutes while stirring.
- Add red wine and simmer for 2 minutes then add tomatoes, stock, thyme, bay leaves a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper, stir well before returning the beef, cover and cook in the oven for about 2-2 and a half hours or until well cooked and the meat is tender.
- While beef is in the oven, heat a saucepan on the stove top to medium heat, add butter and garlic stir until fragrant, add kale and gently sauté while stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Add cream, bring to a gentle boil until slightly thickened and kale is cooked, add half the gruyere, stir until combined and cheese is melted.
- Pour mix into a shallow baking dish, sprinkle with remaining cheese and set aside until beef is ready then bake the kale in the oven until golden.
- Remove beef pot from oven and place onto the stove top.
- Gently remove beef onto a plate to rest, bring sauce to a boil and reduce to desired consistence while stirring occasionally, check and adjust seasoning if necessary.
- Slice the oyster blade, place onto a plate, top with sauce and serve with kale gratin.
Tips: Sauce can be strained for a smoother consistency. Serve with roasted cherry tomatoes