Preparation/cooking time: 4 hours
1-2 (600g) Beef cheeks
2 tbsp Olive oil
2 cloves Garlic, chopped
½ Onion, peeled and diced
1 stick Celery, diced
1 small-med size Carrot, peeled and diced
150 ml Red wine
1 can Chopped tomatoes
600ml Beef stock
4 sprigs Thyme
2 Bay leaves
Salt and pepper
1 kg Gnocchi
60 g Shaved truffle pecorino
- Preheat oven to 160 °C.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom oven proof pan, add beef cheeks and brown evenly than remove and set aside.
- Add garlic, onion, celery and carrot, gently fry for 1-2 minutes while stirring.
- Add red wine and simmer for 2-3 minutes then add tomatoes, stock, thyme, bay leaves, a pinch of salt and freshly ground pepper, stir well before returning the beef cheeks, cover and cook in the oven for about 3 and a half hours or until well cooked, the meat is soft and falling apart, check occasionally and add some water if necessary.
- Remove pan from oven and place onto the stove top.
- Gently remove beef cheeks onto a plate to cool, then flake the meat into the sauce and stir, check and adjust seasoning if necessary, keep warm.
- Bring a pot of salted water to the boil and cook gnocchi to recommended time as per pack instructions.
- Drain gnocchi and add to beef cheek ragu, gently stir and serve.
- Sprinkle with shaved truffle pecorino and some freshly ground pepper.
Serve with rocket leaves.
Drizzle with truffle oil for some serious indulgence.