Preparation/cooking time: 4.5 hours
- 1kg Beef brisket
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 6 Burger buns (potato buns or brioche buns are best)
- 250 ml Water
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 3 tbsp BBQ sauce
For the slaw:
- 1/8 Red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/8 White cabbage, finely sliced
- ½ med sized Carrot, peeled and grated
- ¼ Red onion, sliced
- ½ stick Celery, finely sliced
- ¼ small bunch Parsley, chopped
- 200g Whole egg mayonnaise or slaw dressing
- Preheat oven to 160°C.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottom oven proof pan, season brisket with salt and pepper add to pan and sear on both sides.
- Add 250 ml water, cover and place into the oven for 3.5 – 4 hours or until tender.
- Remove from oven, lift the brisket out of the pan and set aside to cool before pulling the meat with two forks, discard any excess oil and fat.
- Place the pan back onto the stove and heat, add pulled brisket and BBQ sauce, stir and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine all slaw ingredients in a large bowl.
- Cut buns in half and place under the grill until lightly toasted.
- Top bottom half of bun with cheese and return to the grill to melt, top with pulled brisket, remove from grill, top with slaw and top of bun.
Add pickles or fried onions, if you like it spicy add hot sauce, serve with potato chips or hot chips and aioli.