"My Pick of the Week is Bananas. The quality of bananas is rapidly improving and so those grey looking winter crop bunches are finishing up and we are getting better looking fruit. In fact, the discolouring of the skin does not affect the taste. However, we all want our fruit to look bright yellow and the market pays a premium for that fruit. All Harris Farm Markets stores will run a special on bananas this week."
5 top tips for bananas
- Bananas can help ripen other fruit, especially if you pop them in a paper bag.
- Because of this, split bananas from the bunch before they get overripe to extend the life of the rest.
- Frozen bananas make a great, healthy dessert when blitzed with a drizzle of honey or maple syrup.
- The best way to freeze bananas is to peel very ripe-overripe bananas and store them in an airtight container until you're ready to cook with them.
- The browner the skin, the more natural sugar in the banana, which is why ripe to overripe bananas are best for baking.